Raised garden beds have a variety of benefits and can be used in many different applications and scenarios. From the apartment owner with enough room for a small box on their patio, to a homeowner with a small backyard, to residents living in locales with less than desirable soil conditions, raised garden beds can be a beneficial alternative to in-ground gardening. Raised garden bed liners are a necessary layer when constructing a successful growing experience.
After constructing the raised bed of your desired size for your gardening needs, installing a liner is the next step before planting for the season. Bed liners can be applied to plots of different sizes and have many benefits.
Benefits of Raised Garden Bed Liners
- Weed control – Raised garden bed liners act as a barrier between the ground and the soil you put in your box. If you use weed-free soil in your box, this barrier should protect your garden from weeds.
- Pest control – If you don’t want to share your vegetables with gophers, moles and other critters, adding raised garden bed liners in before pouring your planting soil will help keep them out.
- Good drainage – When gardening, one of the hardest factors to perfect is the ideal level of moisture in the soil. Raised garden bed liners help keep soil moist for optimal growing conditions, but not stagnate. Water gets absorbed into the lower layers of the bed, keeping it evenly moist.
- Prevent soil loss – Raised garden bed liners are durable and prevent soil from washing away, while still allowing water to drain. In preventing soil loss, raised garden bed liners also help keep boxes tidy and not in disarray because of washed away soil.
- Install raised beds on firm surfaces – Raised garden beds with liners can be installed on any firm surface, including concrete or stone. Gardeners living in apartments or with minimal yard space will appreciate this fact when planting their gardens in these otherwise impossible areas.
Raised garden bed liners are a crucial layer when constructing your boxes and extending your growing season. Using the plastic garden bed liners from BTL Liners will help protect your vegetables from pests, weeds and soil loss, while providing good drainage. Contact BTL Liners for more information about our raised garden bed liners.